Feller bunchers are a type of forestry machine used primarily for logging, forest thinning, and similar forestry tasks. The specialized head at the end of the arm gathers around several standing trees at once and holds them in place before felling them. By bunching multiple trees at a time, you can clear a large piece of land faster and more efficiently than you could with a mini-excavator and feller buncher or single tree shearing attachment. Some feller buncher configurations are powerful enough to move the felled tree bunches uphill, with little to no tail swing.
Benefits of Using a Tracked Feller Buncher
Thanks to the amount of traction a tracked feller buncher provides, you can use the machine in several environments, such as:
- Rugged and rocky terrain.
- In slick, muddy conditions.
- On hills and some steep slopes.
- In most types of weather.
- On terrain with loose soil.
- On surfaces that require minimal ground disturbance.
While tracked feller bunchers provide ample traction and stability, consider a wheeled machine if you need to drive around the worksite or quickly transport felled logs far distances. While wheeled machines do not have a swing boom for extended reach, they allow the operator to drive directly up to the tree and mount a log to the carrying attachment.
What to Consider When Purchasing a New Feller Buncher
Feller bunchers are a time-efficient way to clear and fell acreage, but there are a few factors to consider before purchasing a new machine:
- Operating speed: The operating speed is how quickly a feller buncher can bunch, hold, and cut trees in a single operation. When checking the configurations on a new machine, you will notice both a "rabbit" and "turtle" maximum operating speed.
- Mini or standard size: Like many pieces of heavy-duty equipment, you can purchase a compact feller buncher for small-scale tasks. Mini-feller bunchers operate like standard size machines but are lighter and easier to navigate. They are ideal for private property owners hoping to log a few acres, small-scale forestry applications, or situations that call for minimal environmental impact.
- Specialized versions: Cat® feller bunchers have enhanced hydraulics and specialized versions with different tool options that give your machine the ability to handle your specific forestry tasks. Specific configurations also have increased visibility from the operator's cab, engines optimized for maximum fuel-efficiency, and low-effort precision controls for more productive operation.
Shop Cat Feller Bunchers for Sale at Thompson Tractor Company
If you're tackling a large or small-scale forestry project, Thompson Tractor has what you need. At Thompson Tractor, we have several feller bunchers for sale, including 538, 548, 558, and 568 model forest machines. Backed by decades of experience as the industry leader for safe and innovative equipment, Cat machines have all the technology and features you need to get the job done safely and efficiently. Not sure which configuration is best for your project? We can help. Find a Thompson Tractor location near you to get started, or visit us online and request your quote today.
Request a Quote for Cat Feller Bunchers
Get a list of models offered and request a quote for new feller bunchers by calling us at 800-547-0760 or visiting a Thompson Tractor dealer near you.